Five Top Tips - Mindfulness
Jul 13, 2016
Last week we launched our ‘Five Top Tips’ series. We really hope you enjoyed our first article on ‘Building Resilience’.
This week we take a look at the importance of mindfulness.
Mindfulness is the awareness that emerges through paying attention on purpose, in the present moment, and non-judgementally to things as they are. Mindfulness encourages you to respond to your experience, rather than react to your thoughts.
Mindfulness can help to: reduce your stress levels, improve your sleep, make you less prone to emotional outbursts, and allow greater clarity to help with decision making and focus.
Five things you could try to help you be more mindful, include:
- Practice the mindful moment – each day allow some time for you to sit and take time out of your busy life, try and free your mind of all the thoughts and emotions and just be still.
- Stay in the present – all too often it’s very easy to worry or get concerned about the past or the future. Try and stay in the present moment.
- Try mindfulness apps – Headspace is a popular app that helps you to learn and practice simple meditation using your phone.
- Eat your food mindfully – put down your phone or tablet and take the time to focus on what you’re eating. Be aware of the textures and flavours and enjoy your food, even if it’s only for five minutes!
- Walk or do yoga – try a new activity that allows you time to focus, reflect and be more mindful. We hope you find these tips useful.
Please feel free to share your own tips and techniques for improving mindfulness through Twitter using #awberyfivetoptips.